Admission and registration of PhD researchers
Leiden University distinguishes four basic categories registration purposes: Funded PhD students, Contract PhD students, Other Internal PhD students and External PhD students.
- Funded PhD students: appointed at the Faculty of Archaeology specifically to do PhD research, with an obligation towards the Faculty to graduate
- Contract PhD students: not appointed at Leiden University, but working with an external (international) scholarship, with an obligation towards this external financing institution (grant supplier) to graduate.
- Other Internal PhD students: persons with a paid position at the University (but not appointed to do PhD research), working on a dissertation without an obligation to graduate.
- External PhD students: not appointed at Leiden University, working on a dissertation, supervised by a member of the Faculty, and may be resident (with facilities from the Graduate School) or working abroad (with a position abroad), or self-funded resident PhD students - with a part-time job, loan, or personal funds.
If you wish to become a self-funded PhD researcher at the Graduate School of Archaeology, your acceptance will be based on:
- your prior training and CV
- your project proposal (see Application Form below) including a discussion of research questions, workplan etc
- a motivated recommendation by your supervisor, and a declaration of willingness to act as such.
- your PhD graduation planned at the Faculty of Archaeology.
PhD application form
For more information and/or Word versions of the application forms please contact Dr. R. Manning.