Admission PhD Candidates
Leiden University distinguishes four basic categories for PhD-registration purposes: PhD candidates, Contract PhD candidates, Other internal PhD candidates and External PhD candidates.
1. PhD candidates: appointed at Leiden University specifically to do PhD research, with an obligation to the Faculty to graduate (AIOs).
2. Contract PhD candidates: not appointed at Leiden University, but working with an external (international) scholarship, with an obligation towards this external financing institution (grant supplier) to graduate.
3. Other internal PhD candidates: persons with a position at the University (UD, UHD, OBP, not appointed to do PhD research), working on a dissertation without an obligation to graduate.
4. External PhD candidates: not appointed at Leiden University, no obligation to graduate; they are working on a dissertation, supervised by a member of the Faculty, and may be resident (with facilities from the Graduate School) or working abroad (example: PhD candidates with a position abroad, or self-funded resident PhD candidates - with a part-time job, loan, or personal funds).
All external PhD researchers need to register at the Graduate School of Archaeology by filling in this registration form.
If you wish to become a self-funded PhD researcher at the Graduate School of Archaeology, your acceptance will be based on:
- your prior training and CV
- your project proposal (see Application Form below) including a discussion of research questions, workplan etc
- a motivated recommendation by your supervisor, and a declaration of willingness to act as such.
- your PhD graduation planned at the Faculty of Archaeology.
PhD application form
For more information and/or Word versions of the application forms please contact Dr. R. Manning.